To ensure that your next trip with your dog goes smoothly, following are 10 things you’ll want to do before you leave.
Think of it as a checklist of sorts.
These travel tips apply whether you’re traveling with your dog via car or plane.
Before You Travel With Your Dog…
#1 – Schedule a veterinarian visit so you’ll have recent paperwork showing your dog’s overall health and current vaccinations.
#2 – Make sure your dog’s identification tags are up-to-date and readable.
#3 – Include your destination address and/or phone number on your dog’s tags and cage/crate.
#4 – Remember to pack water for your dog to prevent dehydration.
#5 – Pack all of your dog’s medications, vitamins, and supplements — so you don’t miss any doses.
#6 – Pack a dog first aid kit – so you’ll be ready in the event of an injury or medical emergency.
#7 – Exercise your dog prior to departure.
#8 – Feed your dog at least 4 hours prior to departure to prevent car sickness or motion sickness.
#9 – Trim your dog’s toenails to prevent snags and injury, especially if your dog will be traveling in a cage or crate.
#10 – Know the travel rules and pet restrictions wherever you’re going — especially if you’ll be traveling on a plane.
More Tips Before You Travel With Your Dog
- More Tips Before You Go Roatripping With Your Dog
- 10 Must-Haves Items That Simplify Dog Walks & Car Rides
- Have You Microchipped AND Registered Your Dog’s Chip Yet?
- 9 Things No One Tells You About Traveling With Dogs
- FlipKey’s 10 Great Dog-Friendly Accommodations
- 8 Tips For Traveling With Older Dogs
- The Most Pet-Friendly Airlines