We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
I’ve had dogs all my life. Each of the items in this Dog Gift Guide is a product that I personally use! No joke. Otherwise… how could I say they’re the best gifts for dog lovers if I haven’t actually used them?
Many others simply include a random list of dog items found on Amazon and call that a gift guide.
In order to be the most helpful for new and future dog owners, I’ve decided to include only dog-friendly items that I use and that my dogs happen to enjoy.
You’ll find a link to my detailed review for each item below each description.
Have fun finding useful dog gifts — for yourself or another dog mom that you know!
The Best Gifts For Dog Lovers
What it is:
If you have a dog, then you definitely need a dog ID tag on your dog’s collar — because you can never be too prepared.
Choose your shape… Bone, Round (small or large), Heart, Hydrant, Paw, Cat Face, or Star
Choose your color… Blue, Black, Red, Silver, Gold, Purple, Green, or Pink
Why I like these dog tags:
- They cost less than $5 apiece and could be the difference between being reunited with your lost dog… or not.
- Custom laser engraving is included.
- Premium quality — these dog tags are anodized after cutting, so there’s no exposed aluminum along the edges. The end result is a better looking and longer lasting dog tag.
Pet ID tags can mean the difference between being reunited with your lost dog… or not. If you have a dog, then you need a dog ID tag on your dog’s collar!
These dog ID tags appear on my list of 7 Things You Should Do Now… In Case You Ever Get Separated From Your Dog.
What it is:
A one-of-a-kind no spill dog bowl that’s perfect as an indoor water bowl or a travel water bowl (which is how I use it).
It won’t tip over if your dog bumps it — or if you’re driving on rough roads & through sharp turns in the car.
Water won’t splash out as your dog is drinking, or as the car is in motion.
How it works: The Road Refresher no spill dog bowl has a floating plate inside which feeds enough water for your dog to drink, but restricts the flow whenever there’s a sudden surge of water — from cornering, braking, kicking, etc.
The bowl also has a velcro base to keep it firmly attached to a rug or carpet. (Yes, it stays put when attached to interior vehicle carpeting!) It can also be permanently attached to plastic, wood, or metal surfaces with the included adhesive tabs.
This no spill dog bowl is 9.5″ wide and 4″ high.
Why I like this no spill dog water bowl:
- Its unique design eliminates spills and keeps the floors dry.
- Perfect for travel or home use.
- Easy to take apart and clean — and it’s dishwasher safe.
- It’s made from heat-resistant polypropylene — so I don’t have to worry about it staying in a hot car.
- Holds 54 fluid ounces… that’s a lot of water!
The Road Refresher no spill dog water bowl is one of the best gifts for dog lovers because it has a unique design that eliminates spills and prevents splashes. It’s perfect for travel — especially if you have a large dog since it holds so much water!
See how I use this no spill water bowl during car rides with my dog.
What it is:
This metal dog crate was designed with a dog’s safety, security, and comfort in mind.
Includes a removable, washable plastic pan — for easy cleanup in the event of an accident. That pan keeps any mess off your floor and serves as the perfect base on which to add a thin cushion or dog pillow for added comfort.
Also includes a divider panel that allows you to adjust the length of the living area inside the crate while your puppy grows into his adult-sized home. The divider panel is important — because if the crate is too big when your puppy is small, he may pee or poop in one corner and then go to another corner to sleep. The divider panel solves this problem.
Midwest dog crates set up easily in seconds simply by “unfolding” the metal walls that fold into themselves (as seen in the photo below). No tools are required. It’s the perfect configuration for easy carrying — should you wish to travel with this dog crate.
Why I like this dog crate:
- Easily sets up and folds down to a portable size — no tools required.
- Has detachable plastic carrying handles that make it easy to move the folded crate from one location to another — like a suitcase.
- The slide-bolt latch makes it safe and secure.
- Rounded corners provide added protection should someone accidentally bump into the crate.
- Comes with a divider panel — so the crate grows with your dog.
- Includes the plastic pan — which is removable and washable. Speaking from experience, this is a lifesaver when your dog has diarrhea!
Midwest dog crates are heavy-duty & last forever! It’s the best metal dog crate you’ll find. The interior liner pan is included to keep any mess off your floor.
See how I use Midwest dog crates to house train my dogs during their first year in our home.
What it is:
The Handi-Drink dog water bottle makes it easy for you to give your dog fresh clean water… anywhere! It’s a portable dog water bottle that is easy to carry with you on walks and on car rides.
I like 2-in-1 multipurpose dog gear — because it eliminates dog clutter… there’s less to buy… and less to carry around with you! This is a durable heavy-duty water bottle and a wraparound waterpan (built-in bowl) in a single, compact unit.
You snap the bottle onto the attached water pan, then squeeze the water bottle to fill the pan as much as you’d like. When you stop squeezing the water bottle, the patented valve automatically shuts off the water stream. No spills, leaks, or wasted water.
There’s also a safety latch to keep the water bottle securely in place when not being used.
Why I like this portable dog water bottle:
- It’s a lightweight and portable dog water bottle.
- Perfect for dog walks, car rides, and travel.
- The attached sport belt clip makes it easy to carry on walks.
The Handi-Drink dog water bottle is a heavy-duty, portable dog water bottle that’s easy to carry on walks and car rides. Its lightweight design makes it one of the best gifts for dog lovers!
See how I use this portable dog water bottle when we’re out and about.
What it is:
This dog throw pillow is a great gift for a dog lover — or for yourself!
Its fun message encourages visitors in your home to lighten up when it comes to all the dog fur that’s likely to appear on furniture, in nooks & crannies, on stairs, and along the baseboards of your home. (Not to mention on your visitors’ clothes!)
Pillow measures 12-1/2-inch wide by 8-1/2-inch tall.
Why I like this decorative pillow:
- It’s a message that definitely rings true with dog owners.
- This decorative throw pillow with funny sentiment looks great in the guest bedroom — next to a lint brush!
- Made in the U.S.A.
Fun throw pillows like this one are a great way to let your houseguests know they’re likely to encounter some flyaway dog hair during their stay in your home. A must for every dog owner!
A fun message on a throw pillow is just one of the many ways I deal with dog fur in my home.
What it is:
Dental Fresh is a dog mouthwash that helps to eliminate plaque, tartar, and bad breath.
Simply add Dental Fresh to your dog’s water bowl daily (1 teaspoon for every 8 ounce of water). There’s no taste or odor — so your dog doesn’t even know it’s in there and it doesn’t disrupt your dog’s drinking habits in any way.
When used regularly, Dental Fresh protects against dental issues and virtually eliminates your dog’s bad breath.
Why I like this dog mouthwash:
- The ingredients in Dental Fresh attack both the bacteria in the mouth and inside the water bowl — which means no more slime left behind in the bottom of the bowl!
- Freshens breath.
- Brightens teeth.
- Fights plaque and tartar.
- Made in the U.S.A.
Dental Fresh is a dog water additive that helps eliminate your dog’s bad breath once and for all! Removes plaque and tartar while freshening breath.
I’ve tried a couple of different dog mouthwash products — see why I like Dental Fresh best.
What it is:
If you have pets (and/or children), then you know the importance of deep cleaning your carpet several times each year.
Vacuuming alone just isn’t enough. And you don’t want to pay a professional to clean your carpets every single time you have a spill or a pet stain!
The ProHeat Bissell Carpet Cleaner eliminates all the hassle that’s typically associated with deep cleaning carpets — making it easy for you to loosen & remove surface-level dirt and spills, as well as ground-in grit and stains.
How it works:
- Simply fill the Bissell’s clean water tank with hot tap water and fill the detergent tank with cleaning solution.
- To wet the carpet with cleaning solution, press the trigger continuously while making one slow forward & backward pass on the carpet.
- To suction the water out of your carpet, make slow forward & backward passes on the same area without pressing the trigger. Repeating this multiple times will speed up your carpet’s drying time.
Why I like this carpet cleaner when you have pets:
- It’s as easy as pushing a vacuum.
- There’s an immediate sense of satisfaction — because you instantly see all of the dirt that’s been removed from your carpet. (No matter how clean you think your carpet is… you’re wrong!)
- All of the dirty water goes into a separate bladder that’s easy to empty.
- Pre-treats, sprays, scrubs, and suctions your carpets all at once to get them clean.
- The built-in hot water heater provides maximum cleaning power.
- There are 12 cleaning rows on the “powerbrushes” and the “surround suction” makes edge-to-edge cleaning a cinch!
- Great for cleaning stairs, furniture, and upholstery too.
- Cheaper than paying for professional carpet cleanings or repeatedly renting a carpet cleaner.
The ProHeat Bissell Carpet Cleaner is a steam cleaner that works just as great with spot cleaning as it does with deep cleaning. It’s one of the more expensive gifts for dog lovers — but it’s worth it!
See how I use the Bissell ProHeat Carpet Cleaner for spot cleaning and deep cleaning my home with dogs!
What it is:
The Tug-A-Jug dog toy was designed for long-lasting, interactive playtime.
It has multi-sensory appeal — dogs can see the treats and smell the treats, while hearing them rattle inside the jug at the same time.
A 3-in-1 dog toy: It’s a rope toy + It’s a hard plastic toy filled with dog treats + It’s a toys with a textured rubber neck. All of these features keep your dog interested and playing longer — by stimulating your dog’s sight, smell, hearing, touch, and taste all at the same time.
Your dog gets an immediate reward when the treats (or dog kibble) randomly fall out of the Tug-A-Jug’s narrow neck opening as your dog pushes the toy around on the ground, chews on the built-in rope, or teeths on the nubby rubber neck. All of this built-in gratification keeps your dog actively engaged, challenged, and motivated!
The Tug-A-Jug interactive dog toy works great for a game of tug, hide & seek, and fetch. It can also be used as a training tool for commands such as “Bring it,” “Leave it” and “Fetch.”
Available in 3 sizes: X-Small, Small, and Medium/Large. (When in doubt, go up a size!) And it’s dishwasher safe.
Why I like this interactive dog toy:
- Even if your dog happens to eventually chew through the rope, the Tug-A-Jug dog toy is still usable! Put golf balls or wiffle balls inside the jug — along with dog treats or kibble. As the balls roll back & forth, those objects interfere with the dispensing of kibble. By changing the size of the balls or the treats, you can adjust the level of difficulty to suit your dog.
- It can also be used as a slow feed dog bowl — If your dog eats his regular dog food too quickly, the Tug-A-Jug can be used to feed your dog his entire meal! Simply fill the Tug-A-Jug with your dog’s own kibble, and make dinner time fun.
- You can easily adjust the difficulty level of this dog toy. One way to make the Tug-A-Jug more challenging is to use dense, hard-to-break treats — that way your dog has to work harder to get them out. At first, use smaller treats so they come out faster and immediately reward your dog as he plays with his new toy. After your dog becomes more experienced with the Tug-A-Jug, begin using larger dog treats. They will come out slower — making the Tug-A-Jug more challenging.
- Bottom line: it’s so versatile and there are so many ways to “use” it.
My dog loves his Tug-A-Jug dog toy. It’s like 3 dog Christmas gifts in 1! Treat dispensing toys like the Tug-A-Jug encourage dogs to play longer because they’re constantly being challenged.
Here’s my detailed review of the Busy Buddy Tug-A-Jug dog toy.
What it is:
Bored dogs are much more likely to engage in destructive behavior when left alone than dogs that are mentally stimulated, exercised, and challenged. The Buster Cube helps prevent unwanted behavior in the home by becoming a healthy outlet for your dog’s natural instinct and energy level.
What better way to keep your dog mentally stimulated, physically active, happy, and healthy than with a toy that dispenses dog treats?
Available in 2 sizes (Large: 5-inch cube and Small: 3-inch cube), the Buster Cube encourages challenging play that will keep your dog busy for hours.
Fill it with your dog’s favorite treats (or dry dog food) and watch as your dog rolls and nudges the ball around the room with his nose and paws — trying to get the tasty morsels to fall out.
The uniquely shaped ball rolls and slides in unpredictable directions, releasing dog treats with every turn.
Why I like this interactive (and indestructible!) dog toy:
- It’s made of tough, safe, nontoxic, hard thermoplastic material that will last for decades — because dogs can’t bite into it.
- Reduces boredom and destructive behavior — a challenging dog treat dispenser that keeps your dog mentally stimulated and motivates him to play.
- A fun way to effortlessly give treats to your dog while you’re watching him play… and learn!
- Use the adjustable filter to set the difficulty level — so fewer (or more) treats will fall out.
- Can be used both indoors and outside.
The Buster Cube dog puzzle toy is great for a bored dog! Put dry dog food inside. Your dog rolls it around the floor using his nose & paws. The treats fall out. It’s one of the best dog gifts I’ve personally received… and given!
See why I think the Buster Cube is one of the best interactive dog toys.
What it is:
Foaming Waterless Shampoo by Miracle Coat is a gentle dog shampoo formula that requires no rinsing.
It’s a low-sudsing, biodegradable, tearless formula that eliminates having to soak your dog in water.
The patented ingredients help eliminate dryness, hot spots, and skin irritations due to flea and tick problems:
Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Ether Sulfate, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree Oil), Citric Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheral Acetate (Vitamin E), Jojoba Oil, Comfrey Extract, Henna Extract, Lavender Extract, Clover Extract, White Ginger Extract, Clove Extract, Chamomile Extract, Evening Primrose Extract, Jasmine Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Honeysuckle Extract, Hyacinth Extract, Cocamide DEA, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Times when a waterless shampoo comes in handy:
- When company is coming to visit
- After surgery
- When traveling
- In between regular baths
- When it’s too cold outside to bathe your dog from the water hose
- If your dog doesn’t like taking baths in the tub or shower
Why I like this waterless dog shampoo:
- No rinsing required
- Perfect for year-round use
- Smells great and keeps your dog smelling good in between regular baths
If you’re looking for a waterless dog shampoo, Miracle Coat Foaming Waterless Shampoo for dogs is one of the best! It smells great and the fresh scent lasts for days.
Here’s my detailed review of Miracle Coat waterless foaming dog shampoo.
What it is:
When you’re house-training a dog, accidents will happen — it’s only natural. Fortunately, a professional-strength enzyme cleaner can remove all traces of the stain and smell.
It’s super important to remove all traces of urine from your flooring, or your dog will be attracted back to the same spot. The only way to completely remove pet urine smell is to use a safe but powerful cleaner that uses enzymes to destroy all of the urine crystals and leaves your house odor-free. (Shampooing the carpet doesn’t work — because soap and water can’t eliminate the odor-causing urine crystals.)
Rocco and Roxie’s enzyme cleaner is the most powerful pet odor eliminator available. The natural bio-enzymatic formula goes to work immediately to completely eliminate odors from urine, feces, vomit, and other organic stains.
Why I like this enzyme cleaner:
- Child-safe, pet-safe, environmentally friendly, made in the USA, and certified safe for all carpets. (It earned the Seal of Approval from the Carpet and Rug Institute — products without the CRI Seal of Approval may permanently damage your carpet.)
- Guaranteed to make stains and odors disappear from carpeting, rugs, upholstery (which also discourages your dog from urinating in the same spot) — if you’re not 100% satisfied, they’ll give you your money back.
- It works on more than just carpets and upholstery — you can also use it to freshen pet bedding, litter boxes, travel crates, automobiles, campers, laundry, and more!
It’s a fact that the only thing that works on urine stains and odors is an enzyme cleaner. Rocco & Roxie Stain & Odor Eliminator is the best enzyme cleaner for pet urine stains and odors.
Rocco & Roxie Enzyme Cleaner made my list of the best products to remove dog urine stains and odors.
What it is:
When used in the car, it keeps your dog restrained — so you can keep your eyes on the road at all times. The 10-inch dog seatbelt adapter (tether) is made of high-quality automotive seat belt webbing to keep your dog from being tossed around during quick stops and sharp turns. It’s fully adjustable. So you can give your dog more (or less) room to roam inside your vehicle — while still being able to sit down, lie down, and stand up freely.
When used on walks, it eliminates the choking and pulling that is often experienced when using just a collar. The broad chest pad on the Kurgo Tru-Fit Harness provides ultimate comfort by reducing stress on the trachea and sternum while dispersing kinetic energy across the chest of the dog. There’s a halt ring on the chest plate — making it an effective no-pull harness.
Why I like this dog harness:
- It’s easy to put on — just slip it over your dog’s head and clip the quick-release buckles around your dog’s midsection.
- The 5 adjustment points on this dog harness guarantee the perfect fit for any dog’s size or proportions.
- This dog harness is useful during dog walking and car rides — because the dog seat belt adapter is included to safely tether your dog while driving.
The Kurgo Tru-Fit Dog Harness is great for walking your dog and taking your dog on car rides. It comes with the adjustable seatbelt tether to safely restrain your dog inside the car — which is a really nice bonus. Two-in-one dog Christmas gifts are always appreciated!
This dog harness appears on my list of 10 Must-Have Items That Simplify Dog Walks And Car Rides.
What it is:
These 3 brightly colored KONG Squeaker Tennis Balls will definitely be a hit with your dog!
Each ball has a “Happy Birthday” logo on it. Sure, you can use them to celebrate a birthday — but dogs can’t read, so I gave them to my dog “just because”.
Constructed from non-abrasive tennis ball fabric that won’t wear down your dog’s teeth, these are fun and bouncy tennis ball dog toys that also float in water.
Perfect for dogs that love to fetch!
The squeakers inside won’t fall out or hurt your dog — they’re completely sealed in rubber and covered with a non-abrasive tennis ball fabric.
Why I like these squeaky dog tennis balls:
- Combines 2 classic dog toys — the common tennis ball and the dog-favorite squeaker toy — to create an exceptional squeaky tennis ball! My dogs absolutely love ’em.
- These are brightly colored versions of the popular KONG Air Dog Squeakair tennis balls. My dogs like the larger ones when we play fetch outside. We use the “standard tennis ball sized” ones with the Birthday logo indoors.
- They last much longer than traditional tennis balls.
This set of 3 KONG Squeaker Tennis Balls is a perfect gift for the Birthday dog — because each of the squeaky tennis balls is imprinted with a “Happy Birthday” message on it. But I just like the bright colors, and they’re great for year-round play!
KONG Squeaker Tennis Balls are the perfect addition for a DIY dog birthday party.
What it is:
The Jolly Ball Tug-N-Toss toy is a dog ball unlike any other dog ball.
It’s like a combination KONG toy (rubbery and bouncy) and a hopper ball (like the kids’ toy that you sit on and bounce). For dogs, it’s one heck of a fetch toy!
It’s made of low-density, non-toxic polyethylene that’s safe for pets and people.
Jolly Balls come in lots of fun colors and 4 different sizes (Small: 4-1/2 inches, Medium: 6 inches, Large: 8 inches, and XLarge: 10 inches)
Why I like this dog ball toy:
- The handle makes it easy for you and your dog to grab during a game of fetch — so throwing and retrieving are both easy to do.
- Since it’s so bouncy that it’s easy for your dog to play with alone — it bounces wildly every time your dog drops it!
- It also floats — so your dog can play with it in water.
- It’s puncture-resistant — it can actually be punctured without deflating.
Jolly Ball is a very popular indestructible dog toy. The handle is easy to grip, which makes it a great toy for a game of fetch with your dog. Some of the best gifts for dog lovers are those you can safely leave with your dog when they’re alone.
See why I included the Jolly Ball on my list of the best indestructible dog toys.
What it is:
Not all dogs are receptive to taking medicine. Usually, it’s due to the unique smell and/or taste. But some dogs are just picky eaters and won’t eat anything that doesn’t come in dog-friendly flavors. Pill Pockets are all-natural dog treats that have a great taste dogs love.
These Greenies Pill Pockets make it easy to give your dog medicine — because you have a tasty, uniquely shaped dog treat to hide it in! The built-in pouch makes it easy to insert a pill or liquid medication, while masking the taste and smell of the medicine.
When it’s time for your dog to take medicine, you simply feed it to your dog as a treat. Fill a Pill Pocket with medicine, then squeeze the top half of it to seal it closed (or roll the entire Pill Pocket into a ball shaped treat — with the medicine trapped inside).
Why I like Pill Pocket dog treats:
- They make giving your dog liquid medicine or pills so much easier — a brilliant way to turns pill time into treat time!
- They’re healthy dog treats that mask the taste and smell of the medicine.
- Medication time becomes a stress-free experience for your dog.
Greenies Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended way to give dogs medication — because they mask the smell & taste of the medicine inside with a dog-friendly flavor on the outside. A great stocking stuffer — definitely one of the most practical gifts for dog lovers!
Here are my tips for giving a dog a pill the old-fashioned way.
What it is:
It can be difficult to find indestructible chew toys for dogs that lasts — especially when you have an aggressive chewer.
Knowing that safety and fun go hand in hand, the GoughNuts dog toy was designed by mechanical engineers and polymer engineers to address the simple but serious issue of dog chew toy safety.
The original GoughNuts dog toy was designed for strong chewers 10 to 40 lbs and moderate chewers 40 lbs and up. It’s also available in black extreme (for the biggest, strongest chewers) and .75 size (for the smallest, weakest chewers).
Included in its design is the GoughNuts patented safety indicator — where green means “GoughNuts” and red means “Stop”.
The result is a virtually indestructible (and guaranteed) dog chew toy. If your dog can chew through the outer green layer and expose the inner red layer, GoughNuts will replace your toy free of charge!
Why I like this indestructible dog chew toy:
- It’s a super tough, indestructible dog toy — guaranteed.
- Bounces off hard surfaces — so it’s excellent as a fetching toy.
- Floats in water — so it’s also great for water play.
- Made in the U.S.A.
The GoughNuts dog toy is a super tough, indestructible dog toy… guaranteed! If your dog chews thru it and exposes the inner layer, they’ll replace for FREE. In terms of dog Christmas gifts, this one would be perfect whether you know that the dog is an aggressive chewer — or not!
See my detailed review of the GoughNuts dog toy for aggressive chewers.
What it is:
Got a smelly dog, but no time for a dog bath?
Fresh Dog Dry Shampoo Powder is a gentle, easy-to-use, deodorizing, fur-freshening powder that’s pH balanced for dogs.
Just sprinkle lightly on your dog’s coat and rub it in — it will instantly revive and detangle your dog’s fur while soaking up dirt, odors, and buildup. No water needed.
This deodorizing bath powder is all-natural — free of dyes, parabens, chemical preservatives, synthetic fragrances, surfactants and detergents!
Why I like this waterless dog shampoo:
- It’s 100% natural and doesn’t strip topical flea treatments from your dog’s coat.
- A simple way to make your dog smell better in a hurry while extending time between regular dog baths
- Has a fresh scent of lavender and rosemary — very clean smelling.
- Good for all dog hair types.
- Also great for freshening carpets and pet bedding — simply sprinkle, let sit awhile, then vacuum.
Fresh Dog Dry Shampoo Powder works differently than any other dry shampoo for dogs I’ve tried. It’s a powder that needs no water to clean a dog’s fur. Plus, it’s all-natural and smells great!
Here’s my detailed review of Fresh Dog Dry Shampoo Powder.
What it is:
Almost all dogs shed their fur. And when they live indoors, it’s hard to stay on top of all the fur that’s been shed and makes its way on top of the furniture, underneath the furniture, along the baseboards, and on your clothes!
The Furminator eliminates the frustration associated with shedding — while keeping your dog’s coat healthy and beautiful. The concept behind the Furminator is the more hair you remove from your pet, the less hair you need to remove from your home.
Most dog brushes don’t address the underlying problem: your dog’s undercoat. The patented Furminator was developed to remove the undercoat and loose hair quickly & easily without cutting or damaging the topcoat or your dog’s delicate skin.
Designed to make grooming your dog faster and easier, the stainless steel edge on the Furminator reaches deep beneath your dog’s long topcoat to safely remove the undercoat and any loose, flyaway hair.
Why I like this dog grooming tool:
- Reduces shedding better than any other dog brush, dog rake, or dog comb.
- There’s a “fur ejector button” that easily removes all of the hair from the tool.
- Designed by a dog groomer for professional results.
- The ergonomic handle makes the process of deShedding your dog even more comfortable.
- Durable and long lasting. (I’ve had mine for over 10 years now.)
The Furminator has become the gold standard for long haired pet fur control — because it’s more than just a dog brush. Reducing shedding up to 90%, it works so much better than a traditional dog brush! Literally nothing else comes close to matching the effectiveness of this deShedding tool for dogs with an undercoat. If your dog sheds a lot and has long hair with a thick undercoat, you are going to love this handy dog grooming tool!
Here’s my detailed review of the Furminator deShedding tool.
What it is:
Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution by Pet King Brands is a combination ear cleaner and ear treatment medication in one.
These antibiotic-free ear drops are a non-invasive solution that attacks pus and debris to destroy antibiotic-resistant microorganisms.
Zymox cleans the dog’s ears while also treating inflammation of the external ear caused by bacterial, viral, and fungal infections — including yeast infections, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas, Proteus, and Malassezia.
Use once a day for 7 days for acute infection, or once a day for 14 days for chronic infection. (Make sure that your dog has no contact with water during the entire 7-day treatment period — or 14-day for a chronic infection.)
Why I like these dog ear cleaning/treatment drops:
- It’s an easy, 1-step dog ear infection treatment with no prior cleaning or post-cleaning required (NOTE: Zymox must not be used in conjunction with other topical ear medications or dog ear cleaners.)
- Includes 1% hydrocortisone (a steroid) — which helps to ease the pain, itching, and inflammation associated with a dog ear infection.
Zymox is a 2-in-1- dog ear cleaner and dog ear infection treatment — and it’s made in the USA. These dog ear drops will clear up your dog’s itchy, smelly ears in just a couple days!
See how I use Zymox Otic Dog Ear Infection Treatment to treat my dog’s smelly, itchy ears.
What it is:
Corium Epi-Otic by Virbac is an ear cleanser for dogs that is highly recommended by veterinarians — including my own vet.
It’s specially formulated to remove debris and excessive cerumen (earwax buildup).
Useful in 2 specific instances:
- As a dog ear wash for routine cleansing of healthy ear canals — to keep your dog’s ears clean & healthy year round
- Prior to the administration of other ear preparations in the treatment of otitis externa — if your dog has an ear infection or itchy ears
Squirt gently but liberally into your dog’s ear canal. Let your dog shake his head. Then, remove debris from the open area of the ear by gently rubbing the base of the ear and the interior of the ear flap with cotton ball.
Use daily 2 to 3 times a week for routine use, before each ear treatment in the case of otitis externa, or as directed by your veterinarian.
Why I like this dog ear cleaner:
- This is the one my vet recommends.
- It’s a soothing & calming ear wash for dogs of any age — it doesn’t sting.
- It makes your dog’s ears smell fresh and clean immediately after using.
When our dog’s ears started itching & smelling the vet recommended Epi-Otic before using meds to treat an ear infection. Now I regularly use this dog ear cleaner any time my dog gets a yeast infection in his ears and/or I see dark waxy spots inside his ears.
See how I use Epi-Otic to clean and treat my dog’s ear infections.
What it is:
When training your dog, the best treats to use as rewards are soft… small… and very aromatic. Because you want a treat that quickly and easily capture your dog’s attention. That’s Biljac to a tee.
I’ve always used Bil Jac treats when training my dogs. In addition to Biljac Little Jacs, I’ve also used Bil Jac original liver treats and frozen Biljac dog food. All with great success — because they’re small, moist, and dogs think they’re delicious!
Why I like these dog liver treats:
- They’re perfect size for little dogs and large dogs — because dogs only need a tiny morsel when given as a reward.
- Great as a reward during training or whenever your dog deserves a special snack.
- They come in a resealable zipper pouch bag — and last a long time in the fridge.
- Made with the real chicken liver and no soy products or gluten meal — they’re healthy, nutritious, and dogs love ’em.
Bil jac treats are great for all sizes of dogs. I use Little Jacs dog liver treats as rewards for my large 90 lb dog and my medium-sized 40 lb puppies. The flavor and aroma definitely get your dog’s attention! If you or someone you know is training a new dog… this would be one of the smartest dog Christmas gifts.
Here is my detailed review of Biljac frozen dog food and Biljac liver treats.
What it is:
In addition to being a great dog proof trash can, this type of butterfly lid trash can with foot pedal is also a popular choice for use as a diaper pail.
The lid itself is metal — not plastic — and features a hidden internal hinge to ensure proper lid closure. It uses patented ‘lid shox’ technology for a slow, silent close. (If desired, you can lock the lid open.)
The interior can liner of this 11-gallon trash can can be lifted out and removed completely — for ease of cleaning. Also, the trash bags are not visible from the outside.
Stands 30-1/2 inches tall with the butterfly lid opened — which is great for low-clearance areas.
Why I like this dog proof trash can:
- It’s a slim shape trash can for tight spots.
- The split lid opens from the center — which is great for low clearance areas
- Strong, steel pedal is great for hands-free operation
- Auto-closing lid closes smoothly and silently
- Has a fingerprint proof stainless steel exterior
Simplehuman is a great brand name and I’ve always had good luck with their trash cans. The absolute best Simplehuman trash can to keep dogs out of the garbage is this butterfly lid trash can. Definitely one of the best gifts for dog lovers to use in their home.
This Simplehuman trash can is included in my list of the best dog proof trash cans.
What it is:
This dog poop bag dispenser is 3 inches long x 2 inches wide x 4 inches high.
The durable velcro loop fastener keeps the dispenser firmly attached to a retractable leash, your belt loop, your dog’s harness, etc.
A separate velcro fastener makes it easy to open and close the “lid” of the dispenser when you’re adding a new roll of bags.
There’s a tiny cut-out area to put the dog poop bags through — so you don’t have to open & close the dispenser just to grab a single bag.
Any dog waste refill bags will fit inside this dispenser. (It also works with bags that aren’t wrapped around a cylindrical spinner.)
Why I like this dog poop bag dispenser:
- It’s lightweight yet durable — there are no hard edges or parts that could break.
- The paw print design is not too cutesy and it’s not obnoxious looking.
- Velcro loop fastener holds it firmly in place on your dog’s leash. (I’ve attached mine to the handle of a retractable dog leash.)
- There’s a little bit of extra room to hold a few other small items inside.
If you carry dog poop bags with you when walking your dog, then you need a dog poop bag holder! This paw print dog poop bag dispenser is the best I’ve found — it has lasted several years and still looks just like the day I bought it. Plus, it’s gender-neutral so my husband doesn’t mind carrying it.
See why I like this dog poop bag holder so much.
What it is:
This set of 4 dog bone shaped cookie cutters is great for making homemade dog treats in various sizes.
Includes 4 sizes of cookie cutters — for large dog treats and small dog treats:
- Largest cookie cutter measures 6 inches long and 2-1/4 inches wide (at the center of the bone)
- Smallest cookie cutter measures 1-1/2 inches long and 3/4 inches wide (at the center of the bone)
Made of durable, heavy duty tinplate steel. Handwashing is recommended. And to prevent rusting, wipe completely dry before storing them.
Dog bone shapes are fun to use in a variety of craft projects as well. For example, you could make dog bone ornaments, dog scrapbook pages, a decoupage photo frame, name tags — and the list goes on!
Why I like these dog cookie cutters:
- It’s nice to be able to make homemade dog treats in various sizes — all at one time.
- These dog bone cookie cutters keep their shape through the baking process.
- They’re also great for cutting soft fruits, craft clay, and for tracing bone shapes for other craft projects.
This dog bone cookie cutter set is perfect for making large dog treats and small dog treats. Homemade dog treats are much less expensive (and more nutritious) than store-bought dog treats. If you or someone you know likes to bake, these would be thoughtful dog mom gifts!
Here are my 10 Best Homemade Dog Treat Recipes.
What it is:
Uniquely designed and intended for camping and hiking and outdoor sports use, I actually use the PackTowl for drying the dogs after a bath and wiping their muddy paws clean after they come inside on a rainy day.
This is the original PackTowl that is super-absorbent, quick drying, and customizable. You can use it full-size like a ‘regular towel, or cut it to any size you want! (If you want several smaller towels instead of one large one — for grab & go use.)
Made with “rapid-cycle absorbency”, it soaks up 10 times its weight in liquid — like a sponge. The large towel can absorb 1 full liter of water!
It’s made from a natural, fiber-based fabric that softens with every wash — so it keeps getting better with age. There’s no staining, thinning, pilling, or fraying (like regular towels do). Just don’t use any fabric softener when machine washing, and hang to dry using the attached snap loop.
Available in 4 sizes (S, M, L, XL), yet they’re not bulky like regular towels. Since they pack small — it’s handy to keep one in various rooms of your house, your purse, the diaper bag, your car, suitcase, etc.
Why I like this super-absorbent dog towel:
- It’s a multipurpose towel that’s perfect for everything from drying wet dogs to cleaning carpet stains.
- Since it’s not bulky like most towels, it’s easy to clean/dry the exact spot you’re interested in.
- Useful in so many different ways when cleaning and drying things at home, as well as when you travel.
- It wrings out almost completely dry — and it takes hardly any time to become perfectly dry (which is great for travel).
- Made in the USA.
I’ve had my original PackTowl for over 15 years. It’s super durable, absorbent, quick-drying, lightweight, and packable. Gifts for dog lovers come in all shapes and sizes and this one can be used a multitude of ways!
See all the ways I use a PackTowl with my dogs.
What it is:
A dog’s keenest sense is smell — second is hearing. If you think something is loud, then your dog is probably in pain from the loud noise! And long exposure to loud noise is the biggest contributor to deafness in dogs (after heredity).
With Mutt Muffs dog ear muffs, you can prevent your dog from hearing loud sounds — reducing the chances of your dog experiencing noise-induced hearing loss.
The inner sound-deadening foam inside Mutt Muffs is the same density found in a pilot’s high-end headsets.
The specially designed wide foam-filled ear seals provide maximum comfort for your pet — so your dog can now enjoy full-spectrum noise reduction.
The materials used to make Mutt Muffs were selected on the basis of their usage in human hearing protection devices that gave an average advertised reduction of 20 Db. So that, or better, is the Db reduction number that Mutt Muffs were designed for.
The second consideration was the high frequency noise that is beyond the range of human hearing. Mutt Muffs are especially effective at protecting against the high frequency wind whistles and shrieks that humans cannot even hear.
Mutt Muffs are designed not to block out all sound, but to be a passive, noise-reducing device that makes loud experiences more comfortable for dogs — like watching fireworks, attending car races, hunting and shooting events, and riding in airplanes.
Why I like these dog ear muffs:
- Mutt Muffs dog ear muffs provide superior over-the-head hearing protection for dogs that will ease your dog’s tension level in stressful situations.
- Lightweight and comfortable — most dogs don’t balk at wearing them.
- They’re engineered to properly meet the curvature of a dog’s head, and the adjustable straps provide a good seal against your dog’s ears. (They come in 5 sizes range from XS to XL.)
- Made in the USA
Mutt Muffs dog ear muffs provide top-of-the-line hearing protection for your dog’s ears. Remember, if a noise is loud to a human, then it’s painful to a dog! One of the most thoughtful dog Christmas gifts for dogs who spend time in loud places.
When my dog used to go to loud car races with us, I did a lot of research about dogs and loud noises.
What it is:
EzyDog is the manufacturer of the Original Shock Absorbing Leash that combines the latest in sports technology with the durability that dog owners demand. With over 30 of history, the EzyDog Cujo Leash has become one of the most popular innovations in the modern dog leash.
The Cujo 25-inch EzyDog shock absorbing dog leash has 6 inches of shock absorbing bungee stretch built into a polypropylene water-ski rope. This tight, short stretch gives you the most comfort and control over medium to large dogs that pull hard while walking on a leash.
You can add a standard EzyDog extension to make the leash longer and stronger. Or add 2 EzyDog extensions for dual tangle-free control while walking 2 dogs. (That’s what I did — for walking my two 40-lb dogs at the same time.)
Why I like this shock-absorbing dog leash:
- It’s a great leash for walking 1 or 2 dogs.
- The built-in bungee feature provides a super strong leash with flexibility that absorbs the sudden jolts and pulls from your dog.
- The unique waterski handle is built with molded EVA for a comfortable grip when walking your dog.
- When walking 2 dogs, the EzyDog Cujo eliminates tangled leashes — while giving you more control and less strain.
The EzyDog shock absorbing dog leash prevents dogs from pulling & tugging. Extensions make the Cujo leash longer for walking 1 dog or Y-shaped for walking 2 dogs. A nice gift for dog owners with more than one dog!
Here’s my detailed review of the EzyDog Shock Absorbing Dog Leash.
#28 – KONG Classic Dog Toy
What it is:
It’s not just a dog toy… it’s a KONG Classic dog toy!
The KONG Classic has been the gold standard of dog toys for over 50 years.
I would bet that just about every American dog has at least one KONG toy. (I have 2 dogs and 16 KONGS!)
Why I like the KONG Classic dog toy:
- The super-bouncy, red natural rubber compound is the perfect texture for dogs that like to chew.
- By stuffing healthy treats inside a KONG, you’re able to keep your dog happily working and out of trouble for long periods of time.
The KONG Classic dog toy is quite popular with pet parents. KONGS help with crate training, dog chewing, barking, digging, separation anxiety, and other dog training issues. Plus, dogs love KONG toys — especially when they’re stuffed with dog treats!
Check out my list of dog recipes that work great in KONG toys.
#29 – KONG Puppy Toy
What it is:
If you want a happy, healthy puppy, then you have to try a KONG Puppy toy. It’s made with an exclusive teething rubber formula.
Designed for small and large puppies up to 9 months of age, the KONG Puppy toys is available in 4 sizes (XS, S, M, L) — because not all puppies are “small”.
Many veterinarians, dog trainers, and behaviorists recommend stuffing KONG Puppy toys with healthy treats to make crate training easier, decrease separation anxiety, promote proper chewing behavior, and stop bad puppy behaviors.
Why I like the KONG Puppy toy:
- The super-bouncy, pink or blue natural rubber compound is great for young puppies that like to chew — it’s an exclusive puppy teething rubber formula just for puppies.
- A Puppy KONG gives young dogs something safe and fun to do when they’re not sleeping.
- Since it has an unpredictable bounce, it teaches your puppy how to fetch short distances.
- Made in the U.S.A.
The KONG Puppy toy is one of the best gifts for dog owners who just got a new puppy — because there’s only so much time you can spend one-on-one playing with a new dog yourself!
See why I think KONG dog toys are the best toys for dogs — from puppies to adult dogs.
#30 – KONG Extreme Dog Toy
What it is:
KONG Extreme is the most durable KONG toy for dogs. It’s available in 5 sizes: S, M, L, XL, XXL.
The ultra-strong, ultra-durable, black rubber compound of the KONG Extreme is recommended for the most powerful chewers.
The super-bouncy, black natural rubber compound is perfect for dogs that tend to chew hard and aggressively.
Why I like the KONG Extreme dog toy:
- It’s used worldwide by police, drug enforcement, and military K-9 teams — as well as Schutzhund and AKC competition trainers.
- The KONG Extreme toy helps reduce boredom and separation anxiety for powerful chewers.
- Stuffing healthy treats into a KONG Extreme keeps a dog that likes to chew happily working and out of trouble for long periods of time.
- The unpredictable bounce is ideal for fun games of fetch for dogs with strong jaws.
- Made in the USA
The black KONG Extreme dog toy is made of the most durable rubber, for the most powerful chewers. If your adult dog likes to chew a lot, this is the best KONG toy for them.
The black KONG Extreme dog toy made my list of the Best Indestructible Dog Toys For Aggressive Chewers.
#31 – Brain Games For Dogs Book (Fun Ways To Build A Strong Bond With Your Dog And Provide Mental Stimulation)
What it is:
I bought this book to find fun and easy things to do with my dogs indoors during the winter months — because mental activity is as important as exercise when it comes to your dog’s health and happiness.
This Brain Games For Dogs book provides more than just fun ways to improve your dog’s thinking and puzzle-solving ability. By giving your dog challenges, you’re also helping to build a strong bond with your dog.
You’ll learn the importance of mental stimulation and why it’s helpful to use reward-based teaching methods with your dog.
You’ll also learn how and why to use hand signals while incorporating mental challenges and unique learning opportunities into your dog’s everyday activities.
Icons for each dog brain game indicate whether it is interactive, solo vs group, where it can be played, the level of difficulty, and whether any props or toys are used.
With straightforward text and full-color photographs, the Brain Games for Dogs book is a valuable guide to successful and fun dog training.
Why I like this dog book:
- It’s written by a Certificated Clinical Animal Behaviorist (Claire Arrowsmith)
- There are step-by-step instructions and color photos throughout
- It’s more than just a dog trick book — it’s a guide for making your dog a better problem-solver
- There are lots of fun tasks that challenge your dog in unique ways while enhancing your bond with your dog at the same time.
How smart is your dog? Dogs need to be constantly motivated and challenged in order to improve their problem-solving skills. These brain games for dogs ROCK! You can never have too many enrichment ideas in your arsenal of dog games & activities.
Here’s a 5-minute test to help you determine how smart your dog is.
What it is:
The Simplehuman trash can mentioned above is the one that many dog owners use and recommend –because it’s good at keeping dogs out of the garbage. It’s so effective that I included it in my list of The Best Dog Proof Trash Cans.
In our home, we use this NineStars touchless motion sensor trash can. (It’s a set of two: a large 13-gallon trash can and a small 2-gallon trash can.) In fact, I like this trash can so much that I bought a few more as gifts for my relatives!
It’s a less-expensive touchless trash can that our dogs have never messed with. (I also included it in my list of dog proof trash cans — however, it’s not as likely to keep persistent dogs out of the garbage due to the motion sensor feature.)
Why I like this touchless trash can:
- It’s easy to use! Simply pass your hand (or piece of trash) within 10 inches or a 130-degree angle from the infrared sensor and the lid will automatically open. After your hand moves away from the lid, it will close automatically. (There’s also a manual Open/Close button to keep kids or pets out.)
- The built-in delay sensing technology preserves the battery life and prevents unnecessary opening from pets, children, or just from walking by it. Also, the lid opens & closes very softly. (Hard closes would lessen the life of the lid.)
- There’s a removable ring liner that holds the trash bag perfectly in place as you continue to stuff it full to the rim. The removable ring also keeps the bag from overhanging around the outer edge of the bin. Since you can’t see the trash ban at all, it’s very neat, clean, and professional looking!
- Has a non-skid base, so it stays firmly in place — when you’re stuffing it to the brim or pulling the full trash bag out to replace with a clean one.
- Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel base always looks clean and new. Even the infrared motion sensor is water-resistant — to prevent moisture or accidental spills from damaging the unit.
I bought mine 11 years ago, and it’s still working as if it’s brand new. The same is true with the ones I purchased for my relatives — they’re holding up perfectly after many years of daily use. One of the best gifts for dog owners… and relatives of dog owners!
See my complete list of the best dog proof trash cans.
What it is:
This book is an international bestseller with over a half-million copies in print in 40 languages. Millions of people have found success with these step-by-step techniques, and you can too.
Dog trick training will help you bond with your pet, establish a good line of communication between the two of you, and integrate your four-legged friend into your family better. Tricks also keep your dog mentally and physically challenged.
Many of the dog tricks in this book build skills that are used in dog sports, dog dancing, and dog therapy work. These dog tricks range from simple ones — like Sit, Shake Hands, Fetch, and Roll Over to extraordinary ones — like Tidy Up Your Toys In The Toybox, and Get A Soda From The Fridge.
What I like about this dog book:
- The author, Kyra Sundance, is a world-acclaimed stunt dog show performer and celebrity dog trainer.
- There are step-by-step instructions and easy-to-follow color photos for each step.
- Every dog trick has a difficulty rating and a list of prerequisites to help you get started quickly.
- There are “tips and troubleshooting boxes” that address common problems you might encounter when teaching each dog trick.
- Lots of additional suggestions for more complicated dog tricks and tips for building on each new skill that your dog learns along the way.
101 Dog Tricks is a book that spells out everything you need to do to teach dog tricks. With the hints and photos included, you’ll have success every time. This book will inspire you to do more with your dog!
For a complete list of all the dog tricks that are featured in this book (and my own tips for teaching your dog these tricks), see my article: 101 Dog Tricks To Teach Your Dog.
Haven’t spotted the “right” gift yet? Want to see even more gifts for dog lovers? I’ve got a few other dog mom gifts on my list of gifts for homebodies!
Like this post? Save it to read again later… or share with others on Pinterest!
I like to help Dog Parents find unique ways to do things that will save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” Dog Tips and Dog Hacks that most wouldn’t think of. I’m a lifelong dog owner — currently have 2 mixed breed Golden Aussies that we found abandoned on the side of the road as puppies. I’ve always trained my own dogs and help friends train theirs, as well. Professionally, I worked at a vet and have several friends who are veterinarians — whom I consult with regularly. (And just because I love animals so much, I also worked at a Zoo for awhile!) I’ve been sharing my best ideas with others by blogging full-time since 1998 (the same year that Google started… and before the days of Facebook and YouTube). My daily motivation is to help first-time dog owners be better prepared from the first day your new puppy enters your home. I like to help dog owners understand what’s ‘normal’ and what you can expect in terms of living with and training your dog — how to get through the ups & downs of potty training, chewing, teaching commands, getting your dog to listen, and everything else that takes place during that hectic first year! When I’m not training, walking, grooming, or making homemade treats for my dogs, you will find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites). To date, I’ve written over 600 articles for dog owners on this site! Many of them have upwards of 200K shares.