While chewing can be an annoying habit for the dog owner to witness (and have to deal with) every day — especially if your dog is chewing on something that you value — you can train your dog to chew other things.
Your best bet is to find some great chew-friendly dog toys.
Here are some almost-indestructible dog toys that you might want to try…
Solid Rubber Dog Toys Are Best
According to Petco (and most dog owners), solid rubber dog toys are the toughest in the toy category. They’re for the hard players and “are almost indestructible.”
Kong toys are widely considered to be among the safest, most durable chew toys for dogs. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes, and most Kong toys can be filled with treats to keep your dog’s attention even longer than other toys and chews. The Kong Extreme Ball and Kong Blue Toy are 2 of the most popular Kongs for aggressive chewers. Kong Blue is made of radiopaque rubber, so it will show up on x-rays if pieces happen to be ingested by your dog. The Kong Extreme Ball is puncture resistant and super bouncy.
That said, even Kong toys and other “indestructible rubber dog toys” can become damaged or destroyed by some dogs. It’s all a matter a willpower, determination, and sheer boredom. So be sure to keep an eye on the toys that your dog plays with.
If you notice small parts falling off, or that the toy has significantly decreased in size, then it’s time to remove that toy from your dog’s inventory. Or, at the very least, supervise your dog closely whenever he’s playing with it. Otherwise, he could bite it into pieces, and those pieces could become lodged in your dog’s throat, stomach, or intestines.
Some of the best solid rubber dog toys for serious chewers are:
- GoughNuts Dog Chew Toy – Made from 2 thick layers of solid rubber, it’s one of the most indestructible dog toys on the market today.
- KONG Extreme Dog Toys – The black Kong Extreme ones are the most durable, and there are plenty of sizes and styles to choose from. They’re all made from solid rubber and can withstand the strength of strong jaws. Most Kong Extreme items can be stuffed with dog treats for added enjoyment, motivation, and challenge.
- Jolly Pets Tug ‘n Toss Jolly Ball – It’s a dog-sized version of those large rubber jumping balls that kids bounce around on, with a rubber handle on top to hold onto. This heavy-duty dog chew ball is made of a thick, durable rubber that will not pop or deflate.
- Ruff Dawg Flavored Rubber Bone Dog Chew Toy – Made in the USA specifically for the most aggressive chewers, these mint-flavored rubber dog bones are tear and puncture resistant. Available in 3 sizes.
- Mammoth TireBiter Rubber Tire Chew Toys – These are made from real tires (real rubber) with 2-ply reinforced nylon fibers. The “extra-strength” TireBiter is the most durable for serious chewers. There are lots of fun ways to use TireBiters to play with and train your dog.
Not Solid Rubber, But Close
These next few dog toys for aggressive chewers are not made of solid rubber, but they’re just as durable.
They are made from unique compounds that closely resemble the properties of rubber.
The best in this category are:
- Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Dog Toys – Their round balls are the best for serious chewers. Some can even be stuffed with dog treats for added enjoyment… and challenge. Planet Dog toys in general survive well in homes with serious chewers. They stand behind their products as well.
- West Paw ZogoFlex Hurley Dog Toy – This dog chew toy is guaranteed strong, so much so that they’ll replace it if your dog destroys or damages it! It also bounces and floats. This video shows how ZogoFlex chew toys are durable enough to withstand the jaws of 40 dogs in doggie daycare.
Indestructible Discs & Frisbees
When it comes to the most durable flying discs and frisbees, the 4 that seem to be best for serious chewers are:
- KONG Extreme Flyer – Made in the USA with KONG’s exclusive non-toxic, ultra-durable, black Extreme rubber formula. It holds up to even the most enthusiastic dogs. Can be rolled or folded for easy portability.
- StarMark Easy Glider DuraFoam Disc – Extremely durable and puncture-resistant, it also floats and can be used as a water bowl as well. Here’s video showing a dog playing rough with it. Heck, the EasyGlider even holds up to 2 dogs!
- Dura Doggie Disc – It’s a frisbee for dogs that like to catch… and chew! It’s so durable, they guarantee it. Like the others, it can also be used as a food/water bowl. Here’s video showing a dog playing with it.
Most Durable Squeaky Dog Toys
Most squeaky toys are not the best chew toys — especially for dogs that like to chew a lot!
There are a handful that will stand the test of time, but they are few and far between.
If you notice your dog has gotten into the part of the toy that holds the squeaker, be sure to remove the squeaker or he could swallow it and choke.
Squeaky toys are very effective lures and rewards in training, but… a squeaky toy is not a suitable chew toy! Squeaky toys are both destructible and consumable. Allowing a young pup unsupervised play with intriguing and easily destroyed items will turn him into a destructive chewer in no time at all. Source
Some of the best, most durable dog squeaky toys are:
- JW Pet Ruffians Rubber Dog Toys – These aren’t the most durable dog squeaky toys in the world, but they do last longer than most. Available in lots of fun shapes and sizes.
- Kyjen Invincibles – Plush dog toys (with squeakers) for aggressive chewers. On the outside, they have reinforced, double-layered seams, and a super-tough exterior lining. On the inside, they’re stuffing-free. Each invincible dog toy contains anywhere from 2 to 6 of Kyjen’s patented squeakers — that continue to squeak even after being punctured!
- JW Pet Bad Cuz Rubber Dog Ball – Even though the ears and legs may eventually be chewed off, the Bad Cuz ball itself is highly likely to remain intact for years. Available in 3 sizes: S, M, L.
Best Plush Dog Toys For Aggressive Chewers
Plush dog toys and stuffed animals don’t make the best dog toys — especially not if your dog is a chewer!
Most dogs can disembowel a stuffed toy in a matter of days… if not minutes!
Fortunately, a number of manufacturers are aware of this, and now they are starting to come out with higher-quality plush dog toys that are more durable than ever before.
The higher-quality plush dog toys typically have double and triple-stitched seams, thicker threads, and more durable material.
Some of the best soft, plush toys for dogs in general are:
- Tuffy – Their Mega dog toys are extremely durable thanks to 7 layers of material sewn together with 4 rows of stitching. They’re “the toughest soft toys on the planet”.
- Sherpa Pet/GoDog – Double-stitched seams. Their Chew Guard technology is guaranteed across their family of brands.
- Multipet – While they’re not built specifically to be super durable, for some reason they seem to last longer than other plush dog toys.
- Kyjen – Especially their Invincible toys (mentioned above) and Squeaker Mat toys (with 16 squeakers that continue to squeak even after being punctured).
The Best Hard Plastic Dog Toys For Serious Chewers
This category ranks lowest on my priority list, simply due to the fact that hard plastic toys typically become scratched and abused in no time.
If looks aren’t important, and you don’t mind a few cracks from your dog tossing it about and trying to bite into it, then a hard plastic dog toy might be just what your serious chewer needs!
My favorites are the ones that dispense treats as your dog plays with them.
These are some of the best:
- Almost Indestructible Dog Ball – One of the reasons this ball will not break or pop is because dogs can’t really get their teeth into it. This ball is great for dogs who like to chase and antagonize their play things. (The Boomer Ball — also known as the Zoo Ball — is similar. It’s even strong enough for large carnivores and great apes!)
- Busy Buddy Tug-A-Jug – While the rope itself won’t last long, the durable hard plastic dog toy itself will withstand the test of time. There’s hardly any way that a dog can sink his teeth into it, so it just keeps spinning across the floor and the dog keeps chasing it. The best part about this one is the ability to put dog treats inside!
- TreatStik – This heavy-duty treat dispenser is made in the USA of a hard nylon material that’s dishwasher safe.
- Our Pets Buster Cube – I think this was the world’s first interactive dog toy. I’ve had mine for decades now. Each of my dogs has thoroughly enjoyed trying to get small dog treats to spill out as they roll it around on the floor. Here’s a good video review of the Buster Cube.
Squeaky Tennis Balls For Power Chewers
For what it’s worth, many dog owners whose dogs tend to chew dog toys to shreds simply resort to buying a new batch of tennis balls every so often. They’re cheap enough, and all dogs seem to enjoy playing with tennis balls.
However, it’s important to note that tennis balls are not indestructible! In fact, they could even be harmful to your dog’s health.
One of my dogs (who’s definitely not a serious chewer) will become so fixated and gnaw on a tennis ball for days until he’s successfully cracked it open. Even then, he will still play with it in parts. (He never swallows any of it, just flings it around like it’s a dead animal.)
But… I recently found some tennis balls that he enjoys just as much and he doesn’t even attempt to crack them open!
They’re the Kong Air SqueakAir Tennis Balls. They’re just like regular tennis balls, but they actually have a squeaker inside! I think it’s the squeaker that distracts my dog from wanting to crack the tennis ball open. Once it squeaks (which he likes), he simply tosses it and then goes running to catch it right away. It’s as if the squeaky tennis ball is “playing” with him.
So if you happen to have an aggressive chewer — and he likes tennis balls — perhaps you’ll want to try the ones with the squeaker inside. I also like that Kong makes a large squeaky tennis ball as well! It’s for larger dogs, so they’re less likely to accidentally choke — as they might with a smaller, average size tennis ball.
I discovered these Kong squeaky tennis balls in 2 different sizes when I purchased the Kong Rocket Ball Launcher. It came with a regular size squeaky tennis ball as well as a large size squeaky tennis ball. The launcher itself had a notch on the end to adjust the launcher for the size ball you are tossing or retrieving. It’s way cooler than those Chuckit Dog Ball Launchers that most people are familiar with.
More About Dog Chew Toys For Serious Chewers
- Tips For Choosing The Best Dog Chew Toys
- How Kong Toys Hold Up To Big Dogs That Chew
- Leerburg’s Recommendations: Tough Dog Toys For Training
- Top 8 Interactive Dog Toys To Keep Dogs From Getting Bored
- How To Put An End To Destructive Chewing
- Best Kong Toys For Puppies, Adult Dogs & Aggressive Chewersbonus