In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products or services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Deciding on the best flea and tick control for your dog can be a little confusing. There are several different products on the market. And they all claim to provide excellent flea and tick control on dogs.
The 3 most commonly used flea and tick control products you can get from your vet are: Frontline Plus, K9 Advantix and Advantage. Revolution and Capstar are 2 others you can get from your vet.
I use Frontline Plus on both of my dogs.
I have not had any problems with fleas.
There have been a few times when I have used Capstar on my dogs. For example, I use Capstar for added protection when we take our dogs camping. The place we go camping is notorious for sand fleas, so I would rather be safe than sorry.
If you are still unsure about which flea and tick control product is best for your dog, here is a quick overview of each product’s claims…
- Kills fleas 100% within 18 hours.
- Kills ticks 100% within 48 hours.
- Works for an entire month.
- Protects against fleas, mosquitoes, deer ticks, American dog ticks, brown dog ticks and lone star ticks.
- Protects against fleas.
- Stops biting within 3 to 5 minutes.
- Kills fleas within the hour.
- Within 12 hours, 98% to 100% of fleas are dead.
The other flea and tick preventatives that you can get from your vet are Revolution and Capstar. Here is a quick overview of those 2 flea and tick control products for dogs:
- Protects against heartworm, fleas, flea eggs, ear mites, sarcoptic mange and American dog ticks.
- Kills fleas within 30 minutes, but is not long-lasting.
- Lasts only 4 hours.
- It is a good start to help get rid of fleas on a dog that is infested.
I have 2 Miniature Pinschers. My husband and I consider them our 4-legged kids.