Does your dog perform any cool tricks that aren’t on this list?
I honestly can’t imagine many more dog tricks that could have possibly been left of this list!
This list of 101 dog tricks originally appeared in the Seattle Times (03.10.05).
It was compiled by Kathy Sdao, an associate Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist based in Tacoma, Washington who has spent the past 2 decades as a full-time professional animal trainer.
101 Dog Tricks
Want to keep that dog of yours intellectually stimulated?
Here are 101 tricks you can teach your curious canine, courtesy of dog expert Kathy Sdao.
The #1 key to success?… Dog treats!
1. Bare teeth (be a wolf, or what do sharks look like?)
3. Bark silently (whisper)
5. Toss a toy in the air
7. Circle around me
8. Cock your head to one side
10. Did you wash your hands? (dog sits up in beg position but shows pads)
12. Fan the flames (two paws)
13. Cover your eyes
14. Gimme four (realistic version of gimme five)
17. Let go of rope
19. Nose touch to hand
20. Nose touch to other objects (naming objects or just pointing)
21. Play dead
22. Prewash dishes for dishwasher (just wanted to see if you were paying attention)
23. Push things with paw (like doors, drawers)
24. Put paws on a person’s shoulders
25. Ring bell by pulling string
26. Ring bell with nose
27. Ring bell with paw
28. Roll over
29. Rub muzzle on floor
30. Shake hands
31. Shake your head
32. Shake yourself
33. Sit on couch with front feet on ground
34. Stand up on rear legs (sooooo big!)
36. Speak LOUDLY!
37. Speak SOFTLY!
39. Wag tail
40. Walk backward
43. Where’s your tail?
46. Balance treat on nose, then toss it up in the air and catch it
47. Carry purse or other bag
49. Fetch slippers
50. Find/bring keys
51. Find/bring dog dishes
52. Find/bring leash
53. Find/bring TV remote
54. Get a toy by name
55. Wiggle ears
56. Heel backward
57. Hide your eyes/paw over nose (shame on you/do you like tuna?)
58. Hide your head (nose touch under cushion or blanket)
59. Howl (heard the Spice Girls’ latest CD?)
60. Keep barking until some subtle cue
61. Lead another dog by the leash
63. Moonwalk (scoot backward in a bow)
64. Open doors
66. Pick a card (from a deck)
67. Pick the hammer (paw to indicate correct tool)
68. Pull a cart
69. Pull on harness: pulling kids on sled, pulling laundry basket or cart, pulling firewood
70. Pull on rope — close doors, open doors, open cupboards, pull wheelchairs
71. Pull your wallet out of your pocket
72. Lower/raise head while lying down
73. Push something with the nose (e.g., ball)
74. Put a toy IN something
75. Ride a cart
76. Ride a skateboard
77. Roll in cued direction
78. Rub back on floor
79. Rub muzzle with paws
81. Shame on you (hide head under chair)
82. Sit in a chair, paws on table
83. Teabag search: Dog searches 3 people sitting on floor or chair for teabag held in their hand
84. Roll yourself up in a blanket or towel
85. Take a bow, twirl, and take a bow
86. Take money from someone else and bring it to you!
87. Walk sideways
89. Weave between your legs
90. Climb a ladder
92. Fetch a hot dog
93. Kick balls with paws (soccer)
94. Lead people (take wrist gently in mouth and take them somewhere)
95. Learn names of family members and carry messages back and forth
96. Nose touch to designated colors or shapes
97. Ride a horse/llama/other dog
98. Roll over with ball between front paws
99. Stop dead on cue
100. Walk up stairs backward
101. Fetch beer from fridge
Or, check out the new book 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance. You get step-by-step instructions for teaching your dog 101 fun dog tricks. Some examples from Kyra’s book: