In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products or services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Keeping an eye on your dog for illness can be stressful.
Knowing what symptoms to watch for can get a little tricky.
There are 21 dog symptoms that you should never ignore, because they can indicate a life-threatening problem.
- Bloody diarrhea
- Loss of appetite
- Bloated or distended abdomen
- Pacing and restlessness
- Breathing problems
- Bloody vomit
- Trouble urinating
- Bruising or bleeding
- Excessive urinating and drinking
- Red eye
- Collapse or fainting
- Bite wounds
- Losing weight
- Excessive coughing
- Bloody urine
- Pale gums
Now, see why each of those dog symptoms indicates something serious is going on.
With a watchful eye and knowing what to look for, you should be able to tell ahead of time if your dog dog is showing signs of something that could be life-threatening.
If your dog is sick and you are unable to make it to the vet clinic during regular business hours, check into an after-hours pet emergency hospital, or look for a veterinarian that makes house calls like a mobile vet.
Life-Threatening Dog Ailments
- Dog Bloat (commonly associated with larger dogs when they’re eating or drinking)
- Pancreatitis In Dogs (the most common reason dogs are seen in emergency hospitals during the holidays)
- Xylitol & Dogs (this sugar substitute is found in more products than you might realize)
And don’t miss 10 Life-Threatening Dog Behavior Myths!
I have 2 Miniature Pinschers. My husband and I consider them our 4-legged kids.