We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
The folks at the Dog Hause came up with a list of 15 interesting facts about dogs.
I’ve chosen my favorites to share with you here…
Top 10 Facts About Dogs
1. If you give your dog a fancy name, it’s not for your dog but for your pride. You’ll end up using a nickname.
2. Owning 2 dogs is no more work than owning one, but 3 dogs is hard work.
3. Pay no more than half of the retail price for a used kennel.
4. Figure on 1 pound of dry dog food for every 30 pounds of dogs.
5. In a suburb of medium density, a dog’s bark can be heard in 200 surrounding houses — or by 800 people.
6. Anything over 45 minutes seems like forever to your dog. You will be greeted as enthusiastically coming back from a 2-hour shopping trip as you will coming back from a 2-day vacation.
7. A stray dog that is afraid of people will trust the people associated with the dogs it plays with.
8. The old rule — multiplying a dog’s age by 7 to find the equivalent human age — is fallacious. A dog is able to reproduce at 1 year and has reached full growth by 2 years. To calculate a dog’s age in human terms, count the first year at 15, the second year as 10, and each year after that as 5.
9. If a dog tolerates gentle handling between its toes, it probably is well suited for children.
10. The best time for taking a puppy from its litter — psychologically and physically — is when it is 49 days old.
I like to help Dog Parents find unique ways to do things that will save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” Dog Tips and Dog Hacks that most wouldn’t think of. I’m a lifelong dog owner — currently have 2 mixed breed Golden Aussies that we found abandoned on the side of the road as puppies. I’ve always trained my own dogs and help friends train theirs, as well. Professionally, I worked at a vet and have several friends who are veterinarians — whom I consult with regularly. (And just because I love animals so much, I also worked at a Zoo for awhile!) I’ve been sharing my best ideas with others by blogging full-time since 1998 (the same year that Google started… and before the days of Facebook and YouTube). My daily motivation is to help first-time dog owners be better prepared from the first day your new puppy enters your home. I like to help dog owners understand what’s ‘normal’ and what you can expect in terms of living with and training your dog — how to get through the ups & downs of potty training, chewing, teaching commands, getting your dog to listen, and everything else that takes place during that hectic first year! When I’m not training, walking, grooming, or making homemade treats for my dogs, you will find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites). To date, I’ve written over 500 articles for dog owners on this site! Many of them have upwards of 200K shares.