Have you been dealing with some bad dog behavior lately?
Is your dog causing you a lot of frustration and heartache?
Trust me, we’ve all been through it.
However, it’s important to realize that dogs (just like babies) are not born bad. Dogs (and humans) are influenced by their surroundings as well as their interactions with others. And the fact is… bad dog behaviors are almost always the result of the dog’s upbringing.
Thus, your dog’s bad behavior could be due to inconsistent or bad dog training. Or your dog may simply be uncomfortable in certain situations for one reason or another.
One thing’s for sure, if we don’t communicate a clear message and be consistent with that message at all times, then our dogs will become confused about what’s expected of them and they will be uncertain about their limits and boundaries.
In fact, without realizing it, you may be accidentally reinforcing bad dog behaviors.
To stop dog behavior problems you have to stop rewarding your dog for certain behavior, and teach your dog what behavior you ‘DO’ want instead. Dog behavior that is not rewarded will decrease in intensity, duration or frequency and in time disappear. Conversely, dog behavior that is rewarded will increase. Source
Fortunately, with patience and time, together you and your dog can work through just about any bad behaviors that may arise. And if you can’t do it on your own, then a dog behavior specialist can help you.
Here’s how to prevent and correct your dog’s bad habits…
Putting An End To Problem Behaviors
Following are some of the bad habits our dogs have had through the years, and how we ultimately made things better.
Hopefully, these tips will work for you as well:
- How to stop excessive dog barking – 3 easy steps that put an end to all the barking once and for all — especially barking at strangers.
- How to stop your dog from unrolling the toilet paper – what your dog sees as a fun game isn’t fun after it happens again… and again.
- How to stop puppy biting – tips that work to stop a young puppy from nipping and biting.
- How to stop your dog from jumping on people – here’s a quick & easy way to stop your dog from jumping up on people when greeting them.
- How to stop dog chewing on things outdoors – tips to keep your dog from chewing on things he shouldn’t when he’s outside.
- How to stop dog aggression before it begins – tips for understanding the dog pack heirarchy.
- How to stop your dog from barking at the same noises – if the same sounds always trigger a round of barking from your dog, try these tips.
I encourage you to try this 3-step approach to solve any of your dog’s problem behaviors.
Other Bad Dog Behaviors & Solutions
- Bad Dog Behavior Problems
- What To Do About Digging, Barking, Jumping and Chewing
- Common Behavior Problems In Dogs
- Dog Behavior Problem Training Tips