Looking for a name for your new puppy or adopted dog?
If you’ve got a girl dog, then you’ll enjoying looking through this list of the best female dog names, plus cool baby names that also make great dog names!
According to the Pet Professor, these are the best female dog names for girl dogs.
A trend which appears to have started in 1997 (and has has continued through today) is to give your dog a human name!
- Addison – English: Of Adam; This surname was traditionally a male name but is growing in popularity for girls
- Cerelia – Latin, English: Of the spring, fertile; possible variant of Cyril, which means lady
- Aislinn – Irish: Vision; may also be a variant of Ashlyn
- Ellery – English: Joyful, happy; surname
- Laila – Arabic, Finnish, Persian: Born at night, nightfall; Qays, a seventh-century Arab poet, named the central character in his poems Laila
- Gemma – Latin: Gem, a jewel
- Violet – English: Lovely purple flower
- Kalinda – Hindi: The sun; a Hindu mythological reference to the mountains of Kalinda
- Lily – English: The lily is a flower symbolic of innocence, purity, and beauty
- Scarlett – English: Red; recognizable for Scarlett O’Hara, the strong-minded heroine of Margaret Mitchell’s epic Gone With the Wind
Check here for BabyZone’s most popular baby names for girls and boys!
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).