We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Looking for a name for your new puppy or adopted dog?
If you’ve got a girl dog, then you’ll enjoying looking through this list of the best female dog names, plus cool baby names that also make great dog names!
According to the Pet Professor, these are the best female dog names for girl dogs.
A trend which appears to have started in 1997 (and has has continued through today) is to give your dog a human name!
- Addison – English: Of Adam; This surname was traditionally a male name but is growing in popularity for girls
- Cerelia – Latin, English: Of the spring, fertile; possible variant of Cyril, which means lady
- Aislinn – Irish: Vision; may also be a variant of Ashlyn
- Ellery – English: Joyful, happy; surname
- Laila – Arabic, Finnish, Persian: Born at night, nightfall; Qays, a seventh-century Arab poet, named the central character in his poems Laila
- Gemma – Latin: Gem, a jewel
- Violet – English: Lovely purple flower
- Kalinda – Hindi: The sun; a Hindu mythological reference to the mountains of Kalinda
- Lily – English: The lily is a flower symbolic of innocence, purity, and beauty
- Scarlett – English: Red; recognizable for Scarlett O’Hara, the strong-minded heroine of Margaret Mitchell’s epic Gone With the Wind
Check here for BabyZone’s most popular baby names for girls and boys!
I like to help Dog Parents find unique ways to do things that will save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” Dog Tips and Dog Hacks that most wouldn’t think of. I’m a lifelong dog owner — currently have 2 mixed breed Golden Aussies that we found abandoned on the side of the road as puppies. I’ve always trained my own dogs and help friends train theirs, as well. Professionally, I worked at a vet and have several friends who are veterinarians — whom I consult with regularly. (And just because I love animals so much, I also worked at a Zoo for awhile!) I’ve been sharing my best ideas with others by blogging full-time since 1998 (the same year that Google started… and before the days of Facebook and YouTube). My daily motivation is to help first-time dog owners be better prepared from the first day your new puppy enters your home. I like to help dog owners understand what’s ‘normal’ and what you can expect in terms of living with and training your dog — how to get through the ups & downs of potty training, chewing, teaching commands, getting your dog to listen, and everything else that takes place during that hectic first year! When I’m not training, walking, grooming, or making homemade treats for my dogs, you will find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites). To date, I’ve written over 500 articles for dog owners on this site! Many of them have upwards of 200K shares.