This page may contain affiliate links. In addition to sharing our personal experiences, we often write about products and services that we use ourselves or that we believe would be a helpful resource for you. To support our work, and remain a free website, we receive a commission from some of the links we share.
Looking for pet-friendly housing for you and your dog?
I’ve found some helpful resources for dog owners who are looking for an affordable house or apartment to rent.
Plus, some tips for persuading a landlord to accept your pet.
Before You Rent With A Pet
Here are 2 ways that you can put forth a bit of “extra effort” to ensure that a landlord will be more likely to allow your dog in their rental:
- Consider making a pet resume for your dog.
- Check out these tips for telling a landlord about your dog — including a pet contract.
How To Find Dog-Friendly Housing
Here’s a list from the Human Society of the United States of 10 things that you can do to increase your chances of finding housing that will accept both you and your pet:
1. Give yourself enough time.
2. Understand why many housing communities reject pets.
3. Make use of available resources.
4. Recognize that it may be futile to try to sell yourself and your pet to a large rental community with a no-pets policy.
5. Gather proof that you’re responsible.
6. Make your request to the individual or group with the ultimate authority to grant your request.
7. If you encounter a no-pets policy, ask if it is the result of a negative experience with a previous resident.
8. Let the landlord, manager, or condominium board know that you share any concerns about cleanliness.
9. Promote yourself.
10. Promote your pet.
BONUS! Three more tips for finding animal-friendly housing:
11. Be willing to pay a little extra.
12. Get it in writing.
13. Be honest.
Here’s a pet contract to give your landlord, plus some tips for understanding your landlord’s point of view.
Sites To Help You Find Dog-Friendly Housing
- “People With Pets” Apartment Search
- 5 Steps To Renting Pet-Friendly Apartments
- “Home With Pets” Helps You Find Pet-Friendly Housing
- Apartments & Rentals Where Pets Are Welcome
- 10 Steps To Finding Pet-Friendly Housing
- How To Find A Dog-Friendly Rental Home
- Best Apartment Dogs & Tips For Choosing The Right Dog
I like to help Dog Parents find unique ways to do things that will save time & money — so I write about "outside the box" Dog Tips and Dog Hacks that most wouldn't think of. I’m a lifelong dog owner — currently have 2 mixed breed Golden Aussies that we found abandoned on the side of the road as puppies. I've always trained my own dogs and help friends train theirs, as well. Professionally, I worked at a vet and have several friends who are veterinarians — whom I consult with regularly. (And just because I love animals so much, I also worked at a Zoo for awhile!) I've been sharing my best ideas with others by blogging full-time since 1998 (the same year that Google started… and before the days of Facebook and YouTube). My daily motivation is to help first-time dog owners be better prepared from the first day your new puppy enters your home. I like to help dog owners understand what's 'normal' and what you can expect in terms of living with and training your dog — how to get through the ups & downs of potty training, chewing, teaching commands, getting your dog to listen, and everything else that takes place during that hectic first year! When I'm not training, walking, grooming, or making homemade treats for my dogs, you will find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites). To date, I've written over 500 articles for dog owners on this site!