Or maybe you’re thinking of getting a dog soon…
If so, then you’ve come to the right place to find answers to all of your new dog questions.
New dog owners are faced with a bunch of uncertainties. Especially after you get past that initial “Oh, he’s so cute” phase. Then, reality sets in.
Rest assured, basic dog care isn’t something that comes naturally for anyone. We learn helpful tips from others who’ve been successful at raising and training dogs. And for the rest… well, we just learn as we go.
So, if you have some questions about dog care and what to expect, you’re definitely not alone!
Follow these tips for new dog owners, so you’ll know what to do and have a better idea of what to expect… even before you bring your new dog home.
Before Bringing Your New Dog Home
Here are a few things to think about before you bring a new dog home:
- True cost of dog ownership – see what it really costs to have a dog.
- Before you get a dog… – things to think about when it comes to dog ownership.
- Adopting a shelter dog – how to find dog adoption facilities & animal shelters near you.
- Finding a reputable dog breeder – here are the questions you should ask.
- Cesar Milan DVDs – these are a must-see before you bring a new dog home; tips on choosing the right dog.
- Basic dog supplies you need – how to prepare for your puppy’s first days at home.
These articles will help you learn more about the various dog breeds:
- Choosing a dog breed – what to look for; see which types of dogs best fit your personality and lifestyle.
- Dog breeds 101 – the difference between purebred, mixed breed, and hybrid dogs.
- Mixed breed names for hybrid dogs – find the unique hybrid breed name for your mixed breed dog.
- Pros and cons of Teacup Chihuahuas – small, teacup puppies are very popular; see if one is right for you.
- Which dogs don’t bark? – which dog breeds tend to bark a lot & which dog breeds that don’t bark much at all.
First Days Home With Your New Dog
Here’s how to introduce your dog to his new home and help him get used to his new environment:
- How to introduce your dog to your baby – if you’ve got kids, you’ll appreciate these tips!
- Unique dog names – how to find the best name for your puppy; top male dog names & top female dog names.
- How to make your dog’s world safer – 10 things you must do right away, inside and outside of your home.
- How to puppy-proof your home – common household dangers that dogs can encounter within your home.
- How to dog-proof your yard – things in your yard that could harm your dog.
- Socializing your dog – see why it’s so important that your dog spends time around other people and dogs.
Getting To Know Your Dog Better
Here are some other ways to get to know your new dog better:
- Dog DNA test – this test can identify your mixed breed dog’s genetics; your dog’s mother and father.
- How smart is your dog? – try these 5-minute tests to see how your dog compares to other dogs.
- Dog age calculator – see how old your dog is, in human years; don’t just multiply by 7!
- Got a dog with black spots on tongue? – it doesn’t mean that he’s part Chow.
- Should you remove dog dew claws? – tips for dealing with dew claws, if your dog has this extra toe & nail.
Senior Dogs Are Extra Lovable
Here are some helpful tips if your new dog is an older dog:
- Housebreaking an older dog – 5 tips that work!
- Senior dog food – see what you should be feeding older dogs.
- Health care for older dogs – how to tell when your dog is in pain; addressing the health needs of an older dog.
- Living with an old, deaf, and blind dog – advice from someone who’s been there, done that.
- Senior dog care – if your dog is getting old, follow these daily dog care tips for seniors.
More tips for new dog owners!