While chewing can be an annoying habit for the dog owner to witness (and have to deal with) every day — especially if your dog is chewing on something that you value — you can train your dog to chew other things.
Your best bet is to find some great chew-friendly dog toys.
Here are some almost-indestructible dog toys that you might want to try…
Solid Rubber Dog Toys Are Best
According to Petco (and most dog owners), solid rubber dog toys are the toughest in the toy category. They’re for the hard players and “are almost indestructible.”
Kong dog toys are widely considered to be among the safest, most durable chew toys for dogs. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes, and most Kong toys can be filled with treats to keep your dog’s attention even longer than other toys and chews.
That said, even Kong toys and other “indestructible rubber dog toys” can become damaged or destroyed by some dogs. It’s all a matter a willpower, determination, and sheer boredom. So be sure to keep an eye on the toys that your dog plays with.
If you notice small parts falling off, or that the toy has significantly decreased in size, then it’s time to remove that dog toy from your dog’s inventory, or at the very least, supervise him closely whenever he’s playing with it. Otherwise, he could bite it into pieces, and those pieces could become lodged in his throat, stomach, or intestines.
Some of the best solid rubber dog toys for serious chewers are:
- GoughNut Dog Chew Toy – Made from 2 thick layers of solid rubber, it’s one of the most indestructible dog toys on the market today.
- Kong Dog Toys – There are so many sizes and styles to choose from… they are all made from solid ruber and can withstand the strength of strong jaws. The black Kong products are the more durable of all. Most Kong toys can be stuffed with dog treats for added enjoyment and challenge.
- Jolly Ball – It’s a dog-sized version of those large rubber jumping balls that kids bounce around on, with a rubber handle on top to hold onto. It’s made of a thick, durable rubber that will not pop or deflate.
- Flavored Rubber Bone Dog Chew Toy – Made specifically for the most aggressive chewers. Choose your size (medium or large) and your flavor (chocolate, cashew, peanut butter, pistachio). They’re pricey, but they last! Don’t miss the excellent reviews.
- TireBiter Paw Trax Rubber Tires – They’re made from real tires — real rubber, with 2-ply reinforced nylon fibers. The “extra-strength” TireBiter is the most durable, according to Leerburg.
Not Solid Rubber, But Close
These next few dog toys for aggressive chewers are not made of solid rubber, but they’re just as durable.
They are made from unique compounds that closely resemble the properties of rubber.
The best in this category are:
- Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Dog Toys – Their round balls are the best. Some can even be stuffed with dog treats for added enjoyment… and challenge! Planet Dog toys in general survive well in homes with serious chewers, according to Leerburg.
- ZogoFlex Hurley Dog Toy – This dog chew toy is guaranteed strong – so much so that they’ll replace it if your dog destroys it. It also bounces and floats.
- Dura Doggie Disc – It’s a frisbee and a dog water bowl!
Indestructible Discs & Frisbees
When it comes to the most durable flying discs and frisbees, the 3 that seem to be best for serious chewers are:
All 3 are put to the test in the following videos:
Most Durable Squeaky Dog Toys
Most squeaky toys are not the best chew toys — especially for dogs that like to chew a lot!
There are a handful that will stand the test of time, but they are few and far between.
If you notice your dog has gotten into the part of the toy that holds the squeaker, be sure to remove the squeaker or he could swallow it and choke.
Squeaky toys are very effective lures and rewards in training, but… a squeaky toy is not a suitable chew toy! Squeaky toys are both destructible and consumable. Allowing a young pup unsupervised play with intriguing and easily destroyed items will turn him into a destructive chewer in no time at all. Source
Some of the best, most durable dog squeaky toys are:
- Ruffians Rubber Dog Toys – These aren’t the most durable dog squeaky toys in the world, but they do last longer than most.
- Bad Cuz Rubber Dog Ball – Even though the ears and legs may be chewed off, the Bad Cuz ball itself is highly likely to remain intact for years.
Best Plush Dog Toys For Aggressive Chewers
Plush dog toys and stuffed animals don’t make the best dog toys — especially not if your dog is a chewer!
Most dogs can disembowel a stuffed toy in a matter of days… if not minutes!
Fortunately, a number of manufacturers are aware of this, and now they are starting to come out with higher-quality plush dog toys that are more durable than ever before.
The higher-quality plush dog toys typically have double and triple-stitched seams, thicker threads, and more durable material.
Some of the best soft, plush toys for dogs are:
The Best Hard Plastic Dog Toys For Serious Chewers
This category ranks lowest on my priority list, simply due to the fact that hard plastic toys typically becomes scratched and abused in no time.
If looks aren’t important, and you don’t mind a few cracks from your dog tossing it about and trying to bite into it, then a hard plastic dog toy might be just what your serious chewer needs!
These are some of the best:
- Almost Indestructible Dog Ball – One of the reasons this ball will not break or pop is because dogs can’t really get their teeth into it. This ball is great for dogs who like to chase and antagonize their play things. (The Boomer Ball is similar but strong enough for large carnivores and great apes!)
- Tug-A-Jug – While the rope itself won’t last long, the durable hard plastic dog toy itself will withstand the test of time. There’s hardly any way that a dog can sink his teeth into it, so it just keeps spinning across the floor and the dog keeps chasing it. The best part about this one is the ability to put dog treats inside!
- TreatStik – This one’s made of a hard nylon material that’s dishwasher safe. It’s a heavy-duty treat to that dogs seem to love.
- Buster Cube – I think this was the world’s first interactive dog toy. I’ve had one for decades now. Each of my dogs has thoroughly enjoyed trying to get small dog treats to spill out as they roll is around on the floor.
Squeaky Tennis Balls
For what it’s worth,some dog owners with dogs who tend to chew most toys to shreds simply resort to buying a new batch of tennis balls every so often. They’re cheap enough, and all dogs seem to enjoy playing with tennis balls.
However, it’s important to note that tennis balls are not indestructible! In fact, they could even be harmful to your dog’s health.
One of my dogs (who’s definitely not a serious chewer) will become so fixated and gnaw on a tennis ball for days until he’s successfully cracked it open. Even then, he will still play with it in parts. (He never swallows any of it, just flings it around like it’s a dead animal.)
But… I recently found some tennis balls that he enjoys just as much and he doesn’t even attempt to crack them open!
They’re the Kong Air SqueakAir Tennis Balls. They’re just like regular tennis balls, but they actually have a squeaker inside! I think it’s the squeaker that distracts him from wanting to crack the tennis ball open. Once it squeaks (which he likes), he simply tosses it and then goes running to catch it right away. It’s as if the squeaky tennis ball is “playing” with him.
So if you happen to have an aggressive chewer, and he likes tennis balls… perhaps you’ll want to try the ones with the squeaker inside. I also like that Kong makes a large squeaky tennis ball as well! It’s for larger dogs, so they’re less likely to accidentally choke — as they might with a smaller, average size tennis ball.
I discovered these Kong squeaky tennis balls in 2 different sizes when I purchased the Kong Rocket Ball Launcher. It came with a regular size squeaky tennis ball as well as a large size squeaky tennis ball. The launcher itself had a notch on the end to adjust the launcher for the size ball you are tossing or retrieving. It’s way cooler than those Chuckit Dog Ball Launchers that most people are familiar with.
More About Dog Chew Toys For Serious Chewers
- Homemade Dog Chews… That Last!
- Tips For Choosing The Best Dog Chew Toys
- How Kong Toys Hold Up To Big Dogs That Chew
- Indestructible Dog Toys Reviewed
- Leerburg’s Recommendations: Tough Dog Toys For Training
- Some Toys Recommended For Big Dogs
- How To Put An End To Destructive Chewing
- Best Kong Toys For Puppies, Adult Dogs & Aggressive Chewers